We held Lyla's birthday party on Saturday, February 26th, the day before her actual birthday. We (well, I) choose a Unicorn theme, because Lyla really likes horses and I figured a Unicorn was a magical horse anyway, so it would put a fun and girly spin on things. Well, it wasn't easy to find Unicorn-themed decorations, so I really just made everything a little more difficult on myself!

I found these cute unicorn plates online

I found a kit to make foam unicorns and castles at Michael's, and I put them together, stuck them on a Popsicle stick, and yes, I separated Skittles into rainbow layers and put them in Champagne glasses. This was all just a little tedious and time-consuming, but I liked the end result.


I got lucky and the bakery at Al's had a Unicorn design!

I got these pretty Unicorns from Michael's.

Lisa of Doodlebug Creations made this beautiful birthday hat for Lyla!
After a lot of debating, we decided to have a small party and just invited our parents (Lyla's grandparents), my sister (Auntie Kar Kar), our grandparents (Lyla's great grandparents), and a few of Lyla's little best friends. We would have loved to have a huge she-bang like we did for her first birthday party, and invite all of our family (including aunts, uncles, cousins, their kiddos, etc.), but when I wrote the guest list out and I got to over 75 people with just family, I realized we had to draw the line somewhere! If it wasn't smack dab in the dead of winter, and we had to cram all of these people in our house, it might have been a different story!

Lyla and her very best friend (and boyfriend), Ethan, listening intently to my instructions on how to play "Pin the Horn on the Unicorn." Both kids did SO well and Lyla LOVED this game!

The beautiful birthday girl. I can't believe she's TWO.

See that sneaky little hand? It kept dipping into the frosting when mommy wasn't looking!

Blowing out the candles like a big girl.

Lyla and Auntie Kar Kar.

Lyla and Ethan have SO much fun together! They have the cutest little conversations and just love each other to pieces!

Playing with the little unicorns I made...and actually, she is stealing them from Ethan right here...

Time to open presents!

Checking out all of her new goodies

Trying out her new Scooter from the Badger family!

And her new bike from mommy and daddy!
Lyla's 2nd Birthday Party turned out to be so much fun! It was such a proud day, to see my baby turn into such a big girl. I had a little "mommy moment," while I was explaining "Pin the Horn on the Unicorn" to Lyla, kind of thinking in my head she's not going to get it, she's still too young, and I couldn't believe my eyes as I was telling her how to play it and she kept nodding her head like duh mom, I DO get it, and then I thought, maybe she gets it but she's going to freak out when I put this blind fold on, but I put it on and she didn't flinch and I gave her the horn and she walked right up to the game and pinned that horn right on the unicorn! My eyes got a little misty and that's when it really hit me: she's not a baby anymore, she's TWO! And she's so smart and I can't wait to see what lies ahead of us in this 2nd year!
wow katie, what a party. you did a great job, themes kind of intimidate me, i've never stuck with one. and we never do big parties here. maybe someday!
ReplyDeleteMama you did an amazing job wiht Lyla's party! Love every little detail!!! And your right Lyla is getting to be such a big girl, I totally can see how much of a big girl she is now. So proud of her! The party was awesome! We are so thankful for friends like you guys!!! xxoxox
ReplyDelete