Saturday, April 2, 2011

I have a plan.

Okay, here's the deal.

I'm not saying this for sympathy, or for attention, or for anything other than it needs to be said to motivate myself.

I am the most out of shape I have ever been in my entire life.  I'm pretty sure I was more physically fit when I was pregnant, because at least then all of my muscles hadn't turned to mush yet.

I used to be an athlete (many, many moons ago...), so I was always in pretty good shape.  I could eat whatever I wanted, and I somehow maintained this cute, tight little stomach.  That was fun.

Then I went to college.  We all know about the "freshman 15," and yes I fell victim to that too.  But by my sophomore year I found the gym on campus and started working out again and got back into (better) shape.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't in perfect shape by any means.  I still drank beer like it was water and had my fair share of 3:00 am pizzas and Mad Mushroom cheese stix, so I wasn't anywhere near being in perfect shape.  But wow, a 20 year old body is a lot easier to maintain than a 28 year old body.

Then I graduated, and got engaged.  A wedding and a pretty little size 6 wedding dress (that eventually needed taken in, woo hoo!) was a great motivator.  I hit the gym at 6:00 am every day before work and got into pretty good shape.

That did go downhill after the honeymoon was over (you know what they say about that, too), but I still worked out occasionally and stayed pretty active, so I never got too far out of shape.

But then, pregnancy hit me hard and I did gain more than the ridiculous recommendation of 25-35 pounds (I mean please, let me have some fun while I have no choice but to get fat!).  So, apparently 47ish pounds doesn't fall off overnight.

Maybe you haven't noticed this, but I haven't been pregnant for over 2 years now.  So, what is my excuse?

Don't worry, I have every one in the book.  For starters, I don't have a babysitter while I go to the gym.  Bless my husband, he works long hours and by the time he gets home we like to spend time as a family.  Grandmas and Aunt Karlee are always my next option after Chad, and they have really busy jobs too.  Plus, I live out in the boondocks so it's just really not convenient for anyone on a daily basis.  I don't do the whole gym-daycare thing either.

We have a treadmill at home, which is great at taking up space.  I use it occasionally, but it is just so hard to motivate myself to work out at home when a hundred million other things that need done around the house are staring me in the face.  I mean, who wants to work out in the middle of a messy house anyway?  Plus I would have to do that at nap time or after Lyla goes to bed, and again, these times are precious and limited and I need to get other stuff done during those times.

Walking isn't a great option either.  If you've ever met Lyla,  you know that she's not the type of kid to sit in a stroller contently while mommy walks a few miles and pushes her.  I can't blame her, I'd rather be moving around too.

Don't worry, I have more excuses too, but those are a few of my best ones.

So anyway, even though I can't wait till warm weather is here, I have been dreading it too.  It's not going to be easy to hide my flab under sweaters and sweatshirts anymore.  I plan to be outside all the time over the summer, but every time I look in the mirror I honestly contemplate burning my bathing suits.  No bathing suit will come near this body the way it is looking now.

Yes, I am a woman and I am self-conscious like you wouldn't believe.  I try to be comfortable in this new skin, and tell myself it's more than worth the beautiful little baby it grew, but I don't have to settle for it.

And as I was feeling sorry for myself, out of nowhere, as if sent from God, a plan hit me.

A BIKE!

I could get a bike, and get a seat for the back and Lyla and I could RIDE TOGETHER!

It was genius!

So I did a little research and read some reviews on bikes and child seats (and trailers that pull behind) and I made up my mind and bought a bike and a seat and helmets for both of us.  (Safety first!)

I have always been scared to ride or walk out on our narrow, hilly, country roads where cars fly down really fast, but Chad and I even mapped out a route that I feel safe using.  Plus I plan to load it up and go on bike trails or other neighborhoods with friends or whatever.

And you know how they say you never forget how to ride a bike?  They are kind of liars.  I got on that thing and was pretty shaky at first.  I guess I haven't really rode one since I was a kid?  Like middle school or high school, at least.

So while Lyla was napping a little bit ago, I decided to go up and down the driveway a  few times, to feel it out.  I really hoped that none of my neighbors were looking out the window, because I'm pretty sure I looked like a big dork.  It took me about 50 times down my driveway and back to feel comfortable and figure out how to use the gears.  Maybe tomorrow I'll be ready to ride down the road to the first stop sign and back.  One thing I am sure of, it will be some good exercise.

Another thing I am sure of,  is that I am really out of shape...because are my legs supposed to be kind of sore after just 50 little laps around the driveway?

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up!!! Maybe we can get one BIG bike that has 5 seats and the boys and I can join you!
    And P.S. I think you are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, cannot wait to workout with you:)

    ReplyDelete