Do you ever hear a song over and over, and even sing along with it absentmindedly, but never really pay attention to what it is about?
And then one day, as you are singing along, it just hits you? Like, all of the sudden, it just makes sense?
I'm kind of obsessed with Taylor Swift. I listen to her CDs, all of them, just about every day. I rock out to her in my car on the way to and from work, and I just can't figure out how such a young girl can know so much, and all of her songs just make sense.
This one I probably listened to a million times and sang almost all of the words along with it before I actually listened to it. And then one day recently the words just kind of absorbed in my brain and it hit me. Tears fell down my cheeks and I just listened to it over and over again and thought and thought about it.
We all have days that we are feeling down, or unaccomplished, or ugly, or just feeling lousy in whatever aspect of life. I have plenty of those days. The thing that gets me through those days is the beautiful little face that is always following me around, pulling things out of drawers, climbing on my tables, and getting sticky fingerprints all over everything.
My hardest day with Lyla...is still one of the very best days of my life. And no matter how I'm feeling, that cute little face is always there to give me hugs and kisses and say heart melting little things like "I miss you mommy!" even when I just walked into the other room for a minute, or "I love you mommy!" when we are in the middle of a conversation. The thing is, I am her world and she is mine. I know there will come days in her life when she will be feeling down, or unaccomplished, or ugly, or just lousy, but I hope I can get her through those tough times like she gets me through mine.
I'm five years old and it's getting cold
I've got my big coat on
I hear your laugh and look up smiling at you
I run and run
Past the pumpkin patch and the tractor rides
Look now the sky is gold
I hug your legs and fall asleep on the way home
I don't know why all the trees change in the fall
I know you're not scared of anything at all
Don't know if Snow White's house is near or far away
But I know I had the best day with you today
I'm thirteen now and don't know how my friends could be so mean
I come home crying and you hold me tight and grab the keys
And we drive and drive until we found a town far enough away
And we talk and window shop till I forgot all their names
I don't know who I'm gonna talk to now at school
But I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you
Don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay
But I know I had the best day with you today
I have an excellent father
His strength is making me stronger
God smiles on my little brother
Inside and out he's better than I am
I grew up in a pretty house and I had space to run
And I had the best days with you
There is a video I found from back when I was three
You set up a paint set in the kitchen and you're talking to me
It's the age of princesses and pirate ships and the seven dwarfs
Daddy's smart and you're the prettiest lady in the whole wide world
Now I know why all the trees change in the fall
I know you were on my side even when I was wrong
And I love you for giving me your eyes
Staying back and watching me shine and I didn't know if you knew
So I'm taking this chance to say that I had the best day with you today
-Taylor Swift, I Had the Best Day With You Today












I have the best day with you everyday.
Katie - I LOVE this song...it is my favorite of Taylor's. I know exactly how you feel. We would do everything for our children and we can only hope they know that and will continue to know that as they get older. Can't imagine my life without mine :) Seriously...I REALLY can't! My best days are when we have absolutely nothing to do...just being together.
ReplyDeleteI have tears in my eyes reading the lyrics and looking at the pictures of you and Lyla through the years. You really know how to describe what many Moms are feeling with beautiful words. I love Taylor Swift as well and I'm hooked on her song that says, "Don't you ever grow up, stay this little" as my song to Norah right now. I will have to find the song you posted as I've never heard it! There's nothing better than a great relationship with your Mom over the years. I look forward to mine with Norah too!
ReplyDeleteone of my favorite posts so far! beautiful song :)
ReplyDeleteThat song is killer! Love this post, love that song!
ReplyDelete-Amy