Saturday, December 19, 2009

Two new Toofers

When Lyla got her first two bottom teeth, life was pretty miserable for all.  It took FOR-E-VER for the teeth to finally pop through, and they came in a month apart.  I am pretty sure she was hard core "teething" for like 3 months!  I felt so bad for her, she just was not content while she was awake, and slept horribley at night.  She wouldn't nurse, wouldn't take a bottle, spit her pacifier out because it hurt.  Orajel did nothing, teething tablets were a joke, she threw her teething rings, Tylenol worked for maybe two days, then we started using Motrin and it helped the most, but it still didn't do much!  I hated pumping Lyla full of medicine, but I hated seeing her miserable even more.  Once she finally got those two bottom teeth through, she was a whole new baby!  I was so glad she was done for the time being, but I was very worried about what round 2 would bring. 

I found out about Baltic Amber Teething Necklaces, and decided to give them a try.  "Wearing Baltic Amber close to the skin is a traditional European remedy. Amber is a natural analgesic and may help calm a child who is stressed, nervous or in pain without the use of drugs. Amber is traditionally known to have calming, soothing and uplisfting effects and may help children who are dealing with inflammation, pain or stress."  If it didn't work, I was out less than $20, and the necklace still looks pretty!  Besides, I had probably already spent $100+ on the aforementioned "remedies" that didn't work, what was $20 more?

I bought one maybe two months ago.  Lyla has been wearing her necklace mostly every day.  The last week or two she has been drooling buckets again, so I was wondering if teething was a possibility.  I kept checking her top gums, because supposedly the two tops come in after the two bottoms, right?  No sign of teeth, and she was pleasant as can be.  She even SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT for the first time EVER two nights in a row!  No way she could be teething!

Well, two nights ago she just happened to be in the right lighting and her mouth was open big and wide while she was laughing, and I noticed two slits in her gums next to her other two bottom teeth!  I stuck my finger in there and felt one tooth poking through, and it doesn't look like the other is far behind!  How could this be?  I haven't even cracked open a bottle of Motrin!?!  Besides, I definitely didn't think she would get two more bottom teeth before she got her top teeth!

Before I have you believing that the Teething Necklace is also a miracle worker, I will let you know that that same night, Lyla didn't sleep that great, and ended up in bed with us.  The following night too.  However, she wasn't wearing the necklace at night!  And she has been such a joy during the day, if it weren't for the slight sleep regression and for the random chance at me catching a glimpse of her new teeth, I would have never known that she was teething!  I really believe that this necklace has helped tremendously.  It feels great not to have had to give her any medicine!  I strongly recommend giving this a try!

Besides, look how cute she looks in her necklace....








1 comment:

  1. Wow! Really interesting! Charlie had a HORRIBLE time with teething (throwing up, bleeding gums, not eating for days...) I will keep this in mind with Brooks. Boys can wear necklaces right? :)

    ReplyDelete