Anyway. I thought I'd try this again, just for kicks. And so I can get out of the big stack of dishes that is staring me in the face. Yes, those can wait while I talk to all my friends.
So, Christmas came and went, and it was wonderful. We really are blessed, and for that I am so grateful. This year Christmas was really exciting because Lyla understood the whole concept of "Santa" and she knew that you had to make sure to be GOOD so you would get presents! I totally get it now, why parents insist on keeping this Santa thing alive. Your kids will do just about anything when you remind them that Santa is watching! And this year we had a special guest in our home, Snowball the Elf (on the Shelf). That little guy kept an eye on Lyla at all times and she knew it. She was especially good so Snowball wouldn't have to make any bad reports to Santa. I was kind of sad when that little guy went back to the basement, err, I mean the North Pole, and I'm thinking he might reappear in like, April or something. He took his job pretty seriously.
Lyla only had one request from Santa this year--she wanted a DORA Kitchen. For like, two months that is all she has talked about. She saw one at Walmart or something and hasn't forgotten about it ever since. Let me remind you, last year Santa brought her the king of all kitchens, so why she would want to downgrade to a tiny Dora Kitchen is beyond me. But those marketers sure know what they're doing. I am pretty sure Lyla would love a big box of rocks if it had a Dora picture on the front... But anyway, since she was so good, she got that Dora Kitchen. Seeing it next to the kitchen she got last year is almost hilarious. It is teeny tiny and there's not much you can do with it, but there are DORA stickers on it AND it says a few things in English AND Spanish. So it must be amazing, right?
But despite all of this Santa business, I was really proud that Lyla understood the basic reason behind Christmas, and that it wasn't just about presents and Santa Claus and magical reindeer with red shiny noses. Of course, that was still exciting, but it really made my heart melt when we would pass an outdoor nativity scene and Lyla would scream, "I see Baby Jesus and Mother Mary!" and when she would remind me that Christmas was Jesus' birthday. Those are the things that really made me proud. Sure, it was nice that she would be on her best behavior because Snowball was watching, and because she wanted Santa to bring her yet another kitchen (I forgot to add...she got a kitchen for her 1st birthday as well....so yes, this makes kitchen #3...), but I knew I was doing something right when she would see a picture of Jesus and his disciples and say "Look mommy, it's Jesus and all his friends!"
And so even though all of this Santa stuff is somewhat ridiculous (I mean really, how does it go from Jesus' birthday to fat men in red suits with flying reindeer going down chimneys anyway?!?), every time I looked at Lyla with her face lighting up when we spoke of Santa, I remembered just how much FUN it was to believe in these things. My childhood was filled with wonderful holiday traditions that made me crazy with excitement, and I love that Chad and I get to start these traditions in our own little family.
Here are just a few pictures from our Christmas celebrations...

Leaving the necessities for Santa and his reindeer: her Christmas List, milk, cookies, and carrots for the reindeer
Sprinkling reindeer food on the lawn to make sure they didn't miss her house
Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve
Lyla LOVED Santa this year! I was soo proud that she wasn't even scared!
Santa came!
Lyla got her own "Baputer"
Christmas morning at my parent's house
My grandma with all of her great grand children
This little girl opened SO many presents, she was in heaven!
I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!
xoxo
Good post Katie!!
ReplyDelete